Mexican sweet bread "Conchas» (Conchas) resembles a seashell, after whom it was named. Loaf covered with confectioner's sugar, flavored with vanilla, cinnamon or chocolate. In Mexico, eat sweet pastries for breakfast or a late dinner, known as the merienda, a tradition that dates back to the 16th century. In baked goods Mexican preservatives and other artificial ingredients not used, so the products should be eaten within two days.
Ingredients Mexican sweet bread "Conchas"
For the dough:
- sugar - 125 grams
- white flour - 500 grams
- salt - 10 grams
- eggs - 4 pieces
- butter (at room temperature) - 120 grams
- instant yeast - 2.5 grams or 10 grams of fresh yeast
- ground anise (optional) - 1/2 tsp
- whole milk (heated to reflux and cooled) - 100 grams
for the topping:
- cold water - 1-2 teaspoons
- flour - 240 grams
- Cold butter (diced) - 125 grams
- powdered sugar (or sugar, if you prefer crisp) - 125 grams
Recipe for "Conchas" sweet bread
1. Heat the milk to a temperature just below the boiling point, let it cool down completely.
2. In a large bowl pour the flour, make a recess in it, add sugar, yeast and pour the milk. Sprinkle with flour, leave for an hour or so, until the dough will not rise to the surface of the flour.
3. Hammer eggs, sprinkle salt, anise around the edges of the flour and start kneading the dough. Knead for 10 minutes, add the butter, continue the process for another 10 - 30 minutes. The flour will absorb oil and the dough acquires a golden-yellow shade. Brilliant dough with golden streaks mean your dough on Conchas - ready.
4. Put the dough in a bowl, cover with cling film and leave for several hours. In addition, you can put the dough in the refrigerator for 12 - 24 hours, which will make it a little tougher, but Conchas will still be tasty, and it will be easier to shape.
5. To prepare the topping in a bowl sprinkle the flour and sugar, mix well, add the butter and fingertips to rub. Add the water and bring the mixture to test the state of the liver. Cover and place in refrigerator.
6. To form Conchas should divide the dough into 9 equal pieces, roll into a tight ball. Put the workpiece on the tray, lined with a nonstick parchment paper towel cover, leave at room temperature for 90 minutes.
7. Heat the oven to 220 degrees C. Take the dough from the refrigerator and form a loaf Similar to hamburger buns. Divide a blank for the topping into 9 parts, roll the balls in his hands and gently go over them with a rolling pin. Discs must be the size of the surface of the rolls, of a thickness of about half cm. Coat the surface of the loaves of milk (this is an effective glue) and put sugar on each disc "Conchas".
8. The tip of a knife or a razor to create on the surface of bread Mexican 3 - 4 bars.
9. Bake Mexican sweet bread for 15-20 minutes, leave to cool on a wire rack.
Serve at any time of the day with coffee or hot chocolate!